13th Annual MELLFIN Conference
Please join us at our 13th Annual Conference, this year's theme is “Unified Commitment, Renewed Purpose”. The conference is scheduled for Thursday, May 25, 2017, from 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m (registration begins at 8:00am). Please register online or download the registration. The cost is $75.00 (Pre-registered) and $100.00 for on-site (Fee includes continental breakfast & lunch). Registration deadlines is April 24, 2017.
We are hosting at a NEW location!
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3501 University Blvd. East, Hyattsville, MD 20783
Written in the Stars
Dr. Joshua Starr
Chief Executive Officer,
Phi Delta Kappan International
2017 John Nelson Parent Involvement Matters Award
The MELLFIN John Nelson Parent Involvement Matters Award is an annual award for an immigrant parent whose exemplary contributions to Maryland public schools have led to improvements for Maryland public school children, schools, and districts. Nominees must demonstrate involvement in one or more of five core areas from Maryland’s PreK-12 Family Engagement Framework.
To be considered for the MELLFIN John Nelson Parent Involvement Matters Award, nominees must:
1. Be an immigrant parent
2. Have a child in a Maryland public school
3. Not be an employee of any Maryland public school system or the Maryland State Department of Education
MELLFIN 2017 Scholarship Application
Applications due March 17th!
The MELLFIN Scholarships are annual scholarship awards for current or former ESOL students in Maryland who are
currently seniors in high school and have demonstrated a commitment to attend college. MELLFIN is facilitating
multiple scholarship awards to recognize excellence and support students in realizing their college aspirations. The
total award for each student recipient will be $1,000 to help cover costs associated with college attendance.
Additionally, student applicants from Howard County Public Schools will be considered for two St. John United
Church Scholarships facilitated in collaboration with MELLFIN.
Eligible student applicants must:
- currently be enrolled and classified as a senior in Maryland Public Schools
- currently be in an ESOL program or have exited the ESOL program within the past three (3) years
- currently have a GPA of 3.0 or better
- be on track to graduate in Spring 2017
Message from our MELLFIN President
Our work is more important now than ever before, as we continue to lead by example as beacons for welcoming and engaging immigrant families in our schools and districts. We are called, we are knowledgeable, and we are passionate. Our voices must resonate for the voiceless, carrying the torch in facilitating this critical network across Maryland and beyond, for our EL students and their families.
- Please share and encourage EL seniors pursuing higher education to apply for one of the MELLFIN scholarships;
- Nominate an exemplary immigrant parent for the MELLFIN John Nelson Parent Involvement Matters Award;
- Make plans to attend the annual conference, as we work together to encourage and engage.
Support MELLFIN Scholarships!
MELLFIN welcomes your support in funding annual scholarships for EL seniors across Maryland this #GivingTuesday. Six scholarships were awarded to deserving EL students last year, through the generosity of Friends of MELLFIN. Please visit the link to give today! Donate to MELLFIN.
Like us and Follow Us on Social Media